Sexy, Fat, and Surviving the Heat:
I swear by a few things when the weather get too hot to stand. Whether it is Northern California dry heat, or Florida sweltering humidity, I need these things to get me through my day:
- Breathable shorts to wear under my dresses/skirts for my mad thigh-rubbing, heat rash, bumps, etc. Mine are by Flexeez.
- Suave Professionals dry shampoo
- Mineral wear makeup, I use Physicians Formula
- Oil blotting papers for my face
- Bobby pins for wearing my hair in two tight buns as it air-dries, and for pinning back greasy bangs
- Tom’s of Maine all natural deodorant in lavender (I love this stuff, but I am also a smelly hippy and enjoy a more natural alternative - I carry it with me and reapply when feeling extra smelly - these days I am growing out my pits and getting in touch with my new under-arms!)
- Clean and Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment cuz my skin hates the heat
- Vitamin E, since parts of my skin can get dry and flakey in the heat, even if the rest of me is a greasy mess
- Little travel sized baby powder
- Sunglasses and maybe a hat
- SPF and Chapstick (and/or my Chubby Stick by Clinique in Chunky Cherry)
- Lots and lots of water (I’m bad at this one, but I’m constantly trying to be better)
- A fan (my mom brought me one from Spain years ago that I carry in my purse)
I’m currently struggling with the way I feel about the coming heat and made this post to help deal with some of my challenges. I think many of us feel like we have to adjust our routines, styles, and habits during the summer due to some sort of societal pressures to conform. This is not just referencing pressures regarding size, but also societal ideas of beauty, femininity, body hair, sweat, make-up, clothing, the list goes on and on.
I will love my body and not feel irritated or held back by the threat of hot weather to come. I will not apologize for the way the skin on my body reacts to the heat - it is natural. I want to be comfortable when sweaty and in little or no makeup. I’ll shave only when I want to. I am embracing tank tops and short hemlines and will not cover myself up. My sexy fat ass will glide effortlessly down the street on my bike.
It is not my job to make others comfortable with my body. It is my job to practice radical self love.
so smart and perfect and i miss you